Monday, April 6, 2015

The Valley of Thor by ArturStanisz



Note: This is a single exposure shot with Nikon D810. My next photo from the Baffin Island Photo Adventure 2014 aims to show a desolated beauty of the valley that leads to the legendary peak, Mt. Thor. During my stay in the Summit Lake area, I spent many hours hiking and scrambling, looking for the best views. I found this composition while wandering on the NW slopes of the valley. The size of the valley itself is immense. To give you a sense of perspective, the bottom of the valley sits at about 300 meters above the sea level and the surrounding peaks reach around 2000 meters. For example: two peaks visible on the right hand side of the photo are Mt. Northumbria (1911 meters) and Mt. Odin (2143m). It took me about 3 hours to hike from this point where I was shooting to the base of Mt. Thor. My goal while shooting this composition was to showcase the landscape in its changing season, from fall to winter. I found few patches of Arctic cotton; just below the snow level and it added a season changing feel to this composition. The photo was taken during the sunset. The soft, peach-hued light gives an impression of warm, golden-like fall weather conditions. But don’t be mistaken. The temperature was already below the freezing point. Note: Via this photo and some others presented here on 500px I invite all interested for the Baffin Island Photo Adventure with me that will happen in August 2015. For details, please email: arturstanisz@gmail.com via 500px http://bit.ly/1aeEj8w

No comments:

Post a Comment